Hello, My awesome students …!
As discussed with you all, we will study & now more about the TOEFL Speaking Tips :These simple tips will assist you achieve higher score on the Speaking section of TOEFL exam.
It comes directly after the 10-minute break. It measures the test taker’s ability to converse and communicate in the Speaking section of English. The Speaking section of TOEFL consists six tasks, majorly into two types – independent speaking tasks (2 tasks) and integrated speaking tasks (4 tasks). Students must demonstrate that they are able to comprehend & communicate fluently as per the questioned asked.
The speaking section measures your ability to speak in English about a variety of topics.
The format of the speaking section is given below.
- Time limit : 20 min.
- You may take notes on paper, and you may use them to answer your questions.
- In questions 1 and 2, in an actual test, your response will be scored on your ability to speak clearly and coherently about familiar topics.
- In questions 3 and 4, in an actual test, you will first read a short text and then listen to a talk on the same topic. You will have to combine appropriate information from the text and the talk to provide a complete answer. Your response will be scored on your ability to accurately convey information, and to speak clearly and coherently. In this sampler, you will read both the text and the talk.
- In questions 5 and 6, in an actual test, you will listen to part of a conversation or lecture. Then, you will be asked a question about what you have heard. Your response will be scored on your ability to accurately convey information, and to speak clearly and coherently. In this sampler, you will read the conversation.
TOEFL is Awesoeme! The most easy Exam I have ever come across!! 😀
The First 2 TasksYou are expected to do the following things:
- Speaking need a clear Structure of your response.
- Try to speak the way you as an individual speaks, try not to Speak in a Accent, as I warn not to use such accent based speaking. Just focus on speak than on accent, just be as clearly as possible. Have a clear Pronunciation of what you speak.
- The Structure MUST include an introduction Quote, a body and a conclusion.
- A Smoother transition from one part to another is important in a very clear, logical, specific and organized manner.
- Avoid using Pause sounds like Hmm… Aaaa…. Weelll… Umm… with long sound involved in it. Be short & clear in your approach.
- Try not to use High Level English Vocabulary, be clear & specific in your approach, and speak as confident as you can in an expressive manner. i.e: Use Simplicity English.
- For the Give Topic you are expected to provide a maximum of three reasons & examples with detail for your response. You are expected to not go around the bush.
- Use Specific Adjectives to clarify your thoughts & Ideas. The Usage of Verbs is more functioning and makes your English sound more attention grabbing – Use them frequently.
- Speak clearly, so that the listener understands what you speak. Try not sounding too ROBOTIC or taking lots of Long Pauses in a sentence. It’s always good to speak using your points which the examiner can understand your words, that to speak randomly.
- Always concluding your topic, because it shows that you were not in a hurry, but got good time to conclude your Topic. It leaves a good impression on the listener.
Independent Task 1 TOPICS : Asks you to Describe the given topic.
Examples Topics : Describe a teacher who has influenced you and why. Be sure to include specific details and examples in your response.
You have 15 Secs to Prepare and have 45 Secs to Respond (Record) your answer.
Sample Response : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux2Q0upiD_0
Similarly , following are few Sample Question on Task 1 of Speaking Section:
1.Who is your best friend? Describe this person and say why do you consider this person as your best friend.
2. What is your favorite place to visit ? Explain in brief why it is your favorite place to go with specific examples.
3. What is your happiest childhood memory? Describe it and give reasons to explain why it is your happiest memory.
4. Who is your most favourite charter in History? Describe the reason for him/her to your favourite.
Independent Task 2 (Preference Based) TOPICS :You are given a choice and you need to take a STAND and You cannot be Neutral on the given topic.
Examples Topics : What do you prefer to get News from, by reading a NEWSPAPER or Watching LIVE T.V. NEWS ? Please choose which one & describe it with reasons you so? Use specific details and examples in your response.
You have 15 Secs to Prepare And have 45 Secs to Respond (Record) your answer.
Similarly , following are few Sample Question on Task 2 of Speaking Section:
1. What do you prefer to go out to dinner or stay home and cook a meal? please choose one and use reasons to support your response.
2. What do you prefer to Study alone or in a group? Please choose one and explain in details you point of view with example.
3. Some people prefer to Study abroad or Study in your home country? Please choose one and explain in details you point of view with example.
4.“Some people prefer to live in a small town. Others prefer to live in a big city. Which place would you prefer to live in and why? Please choose one and explain in details you point of view with example.
Sample Response : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjS74bf2v3A
Hope you liked it, Post your comments & likes !!
Have fun !! Lets meet next time with a Reading Section of TOEFL !! 🙂
Visit: http://www.ets.org for TOEFL’s Official Website for details!